Tuesday, May 17, 2011

gulab appam-innovation out of failure





I already have a blog on cookery (
www.rukrukkecook.blogspot.com).
I am not a great cook, infact I was even a huge fan of "I hate cooking community on some social networking sites. But life changes for good/bad and here I am, blogging about various food items. Now I am writing
about a dish which is an innovation out of series of
failures. So, follow me if you need more information.

go to a super market and buy a readymade mix of gulab jamun pa
cket. If you have a spouse, crib about how you have not eaten sweets for ages, the packet will find room in your cart asap. If you are single (like I was until sometime ago), have the privilege to grab it. Now come home, and start mixing the contents according to what's written there. Now if you are ambitious and over confident like me, add little more water and empty the packet. The
dough becomes pasty and useless. since you are swamped by all the guilt in the world, call a couple of people to find out if they have some extra powder. if you are an anti-social person, then sea
rch on internet or google it. Don't get surprised if you stumble upon my blog! ahem ahem

now after failing all attempts, fossil out the 'all purpose flour' in your kitchen cabinets and add it to the useless dough which is s
taring at you and bleeding through its heart. afte
r you add some to it, now make round balls and put them in hot oil. once you discover that the balls (read as gulab jamun balls) are half cooked (not at all cooked), you will wonder what to do next! so now try this...

make the round balls (balls are always round..but not when I make...) and press them in your hand. they become flat (appam). cool....now fry them and dump them in the sugar water.

after sometime you will realise that the gulab appam (gulab flats) are fuming over the weird attempt and are highly pissed. they swell and yo
u might think of shifting them from one container into another!

so this innovation called, gulab appam, is ready to serve (to whom?)...
for me, I am waiting for my man to come home and relish them (god knows!).

Try them!

on huge demand, here is the pic- Patents reserved!

6 comments:

Swathi Devadass said...

nice 1 dear.. had no disasters yet though. I experimented da old recipe of ma dadi... dey are called namkin wen salty i dont wat are they called in sugar syrup. But dey were applauded for :P

Lani said...

Ram should tell what was the end result...I am sure it was sweet

sivaprasad said...

the name was hilarious , gulab appam

:) said...

gud post, nice experiment.. hoping that ram is safe.

Arpit said...

ha ha ha.. :D

It would be nice if you shared 1 or 2 pics of your creativity.. :P

Rohit Dassani said...

good to see that ur writing again.... nice one... loved it.... i am a huge fan of jamuns and recently told a frnd to bring some jamuns from US.... just for fun!!