Tuesday, June 10, 2008

my food for 2 weeks

Here I would like to reveal some facts about being VEGAN....I dont even eat cakes, as they have eggs in it. I always feel proud of myself as I am a pure veggie and in a way am saving the animal kind. i was very happy to visit Bangkok but guess what... I knew in hand that it would be difficult for me to have proper food. I suffered from food crisis when I was in Colombo. I know how hard it is to find some vegetarian food...forget about idli and Dosa...

So, I was quite smart enough to buy ready to eat food and ready to cook noodles. I got some stuff for myself and packed the whole luggage with the food items. My mom suggested me to take some rice flakes as they compensate Rice...thanks Mom...
before boarding the flight, I asked my dad to take me to the nearest Restaurant which is called "Walk and Eaat" (yes it is Eaat but not Eat), ordered Sambar Idli and also had nice dosa. I knew it would be my meal of satisfaction for the next couple of weeks.

My struggle to supress my apetite started from the first day itself. I had no other option except for boiled cabbage, baby corn and some green leaves...sometimes the veg pizza in the nearest Pizza company (the pizza was 115 bucks..thats tooooo costly).....

i drank lots of coke, sprite, coconut water and fruit juices...i had given complete rest to my tastebuds for 2 weeks.
I went to a departmental store to buy ready to make noodles and finally spotted one...but to my suprise...i discovered a small photo of piglet smiling happily...i just laughed at myself and the poor pig and left the noodle cup there itself.

well, whenever I went to any restaurant, I should make the point clear that I need only veg food. in Thai language this is how I used to converse with them...

me: Food?? noodles?? noodles?
he/ She: yes...noodles???
me: vegetarian????
He: vegtarian?
me: No chicken, no goat, no pork, no beef, no mushroom, No egg....
He: oh ok..only rice...boiled rice..
me: yes yes
He: ok ok...just a moment please...

so this is how I used to tell them that i need vegetarian food. even in our hotel we were provided with grand buffet serving 50+ items for breakfast and only pieces of fruit, juices and some bread and butter for me.

In lunch I could manage some white rice with aloo masala..yes I had the previlege to have aloo masala for 10 days with white rice. and in the dinner, Maha gave me some pickel (which i gifted her from India) and I bought some white rice and yogurt. i ended up finishing my packed ready to eat food in Bangkok and left almost nothing for Phuket.

and yes last but not the least, in the flight -way back home, the thai airways had no vegetarian food. They were offering me some boiled vegetable and I screamed at my pitch "nahi yeh nahi ho sakta"

Thanks to my sister who packed sambar rice for me in the hostel

and yes..on the last day.
I had my Breakfast in Phuket, Lunch in Bangkok and Dinner in Hyderabad...wow!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Trinity's Infinity said...

Hey dear....why do u include mushrooms in non veg, they are biologically fungi :)

Aparupa said...

start non vegging.... u have whole lo benefit

सुभमई राय said...

There are two kind of food in the world..one is 'vegggie' and the other which 'tastes good'

Anonymous said...

Lady , Mushroom is a vegetarian food. Mushrooms are plants without green pigment of chlorophyll.Milk is non veg because it is from an animal. But allowed as you can get it without slaughtering the animal. If so egg also is allowed.Bon appetite !

Anonymous said...

http://gjnanaswarup.spaces.live.com/blog/

If the whole world becomes veggy for one week , Brinjals will cost Rs5000 a kg .

swathi's said...

@ trayee- Chahe mushroom jo bhi ho..i just dont like them...they r obsolute aliens for me

@ Aps- noway woman...i wud never start non vegging...i am sure i wud stick to my veggie habit..lol

@ suvo- dada..comment ke liye khoob dhonyobod...sahi bola aapne...so abhi shaadi ke baad aapko kaunsa food mil raha hai ???

@ anonymous- oh...am a vegan...so dont even touch eggs..and as i said..i feel mushrooms r aliens...

@ swami uncle- Hello uncle..your analysis is catchy...

Anonymous said...

Nice to be a veggie... But a request... Be kind to animals don't deny them their food.

Ramana KV said...

Yah.. Not easy at all for the veggies...