Thursday, March 08, 2018

Traveling with an infant

India travel! 
                                                               
Just like any other new mom, I wanted to travel to India. But my daughter was only 7 months old and I had my own concerns about traveling alone. As usual, hubby couldn’t take off for more than 3 weeks. So, either I go with him for just 3 weeks or take risk of traveling alone and stay for a longer period. I obviously opted for the latter. 

But surprisingly, my travel was smooth and I was home in less than 24 hours relaxing with my parents. Here are somethings that I did that made my travel very smooth. 

Planned packing.
Now that I have an infant with me, my priority was my daughter.   So, I focused on her stuff than mine. 
1) I packed a full formula pack and kept nearly 10 bottles handy so that I don’t have to wash them. 
2) diapers for 5 days. Yes, I packed diapers for 5 days and asked my mom to purchase a new pack in India. It saved my luggage space. We used huggies. It was easy for me to get the brand. However the sizes vary from usa to India. So I got two sizes of each and tried them. Yes, in India you can buy a single diaper!
3) Extra clothes for the baby. When we left NJ it was very very cold. But I knew it would be warm in Delhi (layover) and hot in Vijayawada (destination). So, I kept different types of clothes for her to make her feel comfortable. I changed  them according to the temperature and LO was happy 😃. 
4) Breast pump- I had to pump. So, I kept my breastpump in my carry on and pumped twice in flight in the restroom and threw away the milk. I sanitized everything and kept them  in a separate plastic bag for further cleaning. I had no choice but to pump. So, i was a bit relieved in the flight. 
5) swaddle clothes are very handy during flight journey. I used them as bedsheets in bassinet, blankets and to clean her body occasionally. 
6) gerber baby food. I bought different flavors of gerber baby food and my LO thoroughly enjoyed them. I kept couple of bananas too. 
7) medicines. I kept Tylenol, eucalyptus oil, mylicon, nasal spray handy. 
8) her favorite toys are a must. 
9) lots of sanitizing wipes

Meet your co passengers
I introduced myself to my co passengers and they were very helpful during my flight. I never gave my baby to them. But they helped me with my luggage, during boarding and deplaning and also gave me company during the flight. However I did ask them to keep an eye on my LO when she was asleep in her bassinet during my brief restroom visits only During the flight. 

Planned dressing
I carried my baby carrier and wore a cardigan with pockets. It helped me in keeping stuff handy such as milk bottles, passports, spoons, toys ets when in need. Pockets! Yes, they’re very very helpful. 

Less luggage as carryon
I ket bare minimum but essential luggage that I can lift. It was convenient for me. I had my diaper bag, my carry on suitcase and baby carrier with me. 

Sleep when baby sleeps
Babies are very fussy during flight journeys. So, it’s better to sleep when they’re sleeping. Power naps definitely help us to recharge ourselves. 

Quick meals
Now this needs some real talent. I kept my LO in bassinet and played with her while having my food at the same time. I had to gulp everything but still I managed to eat all meals and not skip as I need energy too. 

What not to do?
1) I carried an umbrella stroller with me hoping to use to in India. But there’s so much dust, pollution and heat that I never even opened it (at least in the place I stayed). And most of the times we used Uber from door to door. If I had to walk, i used my baby carrier as it will at least keep her 5 ft away from dust. 
2) Don’t give any new medicine two days before the travel. Consult pediatrician before giving anything. 
3) Don’t  warm up the babies with layers. 
4) Don’t expect them to sleep. You will only be day dreaming. 
5) Don’t Keep too many clothes as you will end up buying them anyways!

These are few of my suggestions and I wish you all a very happy travel. Bon Voyage!

No comments: